Thursday 11 October 2012

This is Wiss: KCWC Autumn 2012

 
Hello! I am right in the middle of KCWC so really should be busy sewing but I thought I'd take a moment to blog about what I've finished already, what I still want to make, and link to the AMAZING flikr group. Just look at what's been achieved already!

Now I thought that I was prepared for this KCWC - I'd been thinking of what to make for over a week, and I gathered together fabrics and ordered some wool but compared to most of the blogs I've been reading I was way behind! No matter, I reminded myself that this isn't a competition and that all the 500 plus sewers taking part are doing it for fun and to support and inspire each other along the way.

I had so many things that I wanted to make and I've managed to gather quite a stash of fabric over the last year or so, but when I looked into what clothes Wiss actually needed there wasn't much. He's been lucky and had quite a lot of new clothes bought for him recently (Primark have some fab boys clothes in store at the moment). But there are lots of upcoming births and birthdays so I thought I would make some clothes for them instead.

First up are two 2 year old girls' birthdays and a google search led me to this great website, Craftiness is not Optional It was a new one for me but I know I'll be visiting again and again. The tutorial I followed was for the gorgeous Lovebird Tunic, and even with drawing up my own pattern it was an easy project to tackle. Look!

I used some special fabric I'd been saving for just such a project: top tunic is made from bright blue baby cord with a cloud 9 organic cotton print, bottom tunic is made from organic cotton grey chambray with Aneely Hoey's fox print from the Walk in the Woods range. I can't wait to see how these look on - hopefully pictures to follow...

I also have 4 friends all due to give birth in the next month (one set of twins!) so I will be making each new baby a gorgeous and very practical nightdress - just like the one I made at the start of the year here. I've got some vintage t-shirts already and I'll mix them with bright coloured jersey to make each one as individual as the little person inside!

The last item I was planning on making is for Wiss - a scarf, knitted not sewn, which does stretch the rules of KCWC a little but I've got a lot of travelling to do in the next few days so will use that time wisely. At least it would have done. I bought the yellow marino wool from eBay a month ago but it still hasn't arrived!

I'll not be able to do much sewing over the weekend (sad face) because I'm going to be at the Knitting & Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace (happy face!) I've never been but I have heard such great things I am really excited. My mum and I are going along tomorrow as regular punters and as well as some serious purse action, I have booked us into a class to learn how to make pillowcase dresses for charity.

Then on Saturday and Sunday I will be helping out on the Ray Stitch stand. I hope to meet loads of new people so if you're going too then let me know and come and say hi! If any of you have been before and have some great tales/tips then I'd love to know.

Good luck for the rest of the week to all of you taking part in KCWC and I'll be checking the Flikr pool. Happy sewing!

1 comment:

I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking time out to leave comments. I will always try to respond to any messages so please, let me know what you are thinking...